Sharing my trip

So I've decided the best way to share my trip to Hong Kong with all my family and friends back home is to post it to this blog. Hope you all enjoy!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

2008 NBA Playoffs: 2nd Round Predictions

(See my 2008 NBA Playoffs Predictions, and my 1st round results post.)

Well the first round is (mostly) over, so it's time for my revised second round predictions (given that some of my first rounders were wrong...). Just a little disclaimer before we continue: I do not guarantee accuracy nor credibility, but I do guarantee selective memory in touting my correct picks and conveniently forgetting those that I get wrong. With that, on to the 2nd round...

East

#1 Boston vs. #4 Cleveland

This is assuming that Boston wins Game 7 vs Atlanta, which I fully expect them to considering they've handed the Hawks three 20 point beatdowns in Boston during this series. Even so, because the Celtics have gone the distance against the Hawks, I have absolutely no confidence with them against Lebron James and co. If they can't stop Joe Johnson, they won't stop Lebron. Boston may come out like the real Boston (the one from the regular season that dominated and won 66 games) and make me look stupid, but I'm not betting against Lebron anymore.

Prediction: Cleveland in 6

#2 Detroit vs. #3 Orlando

Unlike Boston, I think Detroit has actually pulled it together. They played pretty well, beating down the 76ers in the last 2 games, closing out the series in 6. And although Orlando did beat Toronto in 5, it is Toronto... The Raptors didn't have the size nor the strength to deal with Dwight Howard, but the Pistons do have a few big men that they'll throw at him to slow him down. I also think that Detroit's perimeter defense will be able to shut down the Magic's three point shooting. With those two things down (Howard, 3-pointers), the Magic really have nothing else to go to.

Prediction: Detroit in 6

West

#1 Los Angeles vs. #4 Utah

Utah played a pretty good series vs. Houston, but they did allow T-Mac to get 40 points in the close-out game despite him having to play 1 on 5. Plus, with Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko having almost non-existent postseasons, the Lakers will be able to take this one with Kobe Bryant again leading the way (and fresh off his MVP award...?).

Prediction: LA in 6

#2 New Orleans vs. #3 San Antonio

God, this is the hardest one to pick. New Orleans is coming off a great series, absolutely dominating Dallas in the first round (causing Dallas to fire their coach). Yet, San Antonio is also coming off a great series, pounding the crap out of Phoenix in 4 out of 5 games, 1 of them a classic (Game 1), 2 huge beatdowns (2 and 3), Phoenix's last gasp (4), and the closeout (5). This one's so hard to pick because it's not as if we can use the regular season to compare the Spurs to the Hornets (because the Spurs just don't give a crap during the regular season, obviously...). I have a feeling this is going to come back and bite me in the ass, but I'm going to pick youth over experience, and go with Chris Paul and the Hornets. Hopefully Robert Horry gets hurt (so he won't be able to put Chris Paul into the stands like he did to Steve Nash).

Prediction: New Orleans in 7

...

God, these playoffs turned out gay. Whoever went chalk with their picks got them all correct... Western Conference most competitive ever my ass. Till the next round, where I'll probably tout my correct picks this round, and casually forget/brush-off my wrong picks.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I'm calling this now so that if it happens I look ridiculously smart/lucky. Lakers are going to become the first team in the history of the NBA to not lose a single playoff game. Yeah they will have to go through probably the spurs, then Detroit or Boston. But Kobe Bryant is like MJ 1.9 (not quite as good but close) with a much better team. And as far as the 3 peat Lakers go... Bryant now beats the crap out of 3 peat Bryant. Without Shaq they may not have another 30pt plus per night player, but they have way more above average guys, and still have Fisher to shoot threes. Take all the young fast teams, Sixers, Hornets, ect, then add in the skill level of the old good teams Spurs, Detroit, Celtics, ect. That's the 2007-2008 LA Lakers. It's still a long shot they'll win every game, but I'm going there.