Sharing my trip

So I've decided the best way to share my trip to Hong Kong with all my family and friends back home is to post it to this blog. Hope you all enjoy!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

2008 NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals

Damnit all, I was so close to having a perfect round. Instead, my picks were pretty much obliterated by extremely close games that could have gone either way. Time for a short recap, then the conference finals predictions.

Boston vs. Cleveland
Prediction: Cleveland in 6
Result: Boston in 7
Cleveland was so close to winning game 1, losing 76-72 on some pretty bad play down the stretch. But, if they had won that game, they could have easily coasted to closing out the series in 6 in Cleveland. Instead, they lost that game, and lost Game 7 in Boston by a measly 5 points. So disappointing...

Detroit vs. Orlando
Prediction: Detroit in 6
Result: Detroit in 5
If Orlando hadn't choked Game 4 down the drain with some dumb play from Hedo Turkoglu, the Magic would have taken both games in Orlando, and pushed Detroit to at least six. Instead, they came up small, and Detroit won quicker than I expected.

Los Angeles vs. Utah
Prediction: LA in 6
Result: LA in 6
I'm pretty proud of this one, because I knew that LA would win all 3 games in LA, and that Utah would win the first two in Utah, and that it came down to a coin flip in Game 6. And LA won the only way you can win on the road against a good team: get up by 20+ points. Seriously, they almost blew it at the end. If they had only been up by 15, they would have lost.

New Orleans vs. San Antonio
Prediction: New Orleans in 7
Result: San Antonio in 7
God damnit, this series went 7 games, exactly as planned, and I though Game 7 was going to be close, but in reality, it wasn't. The Spurs got up big, and like I said before, that's the only way to win against a good team on the road. I was completely expecting the Hornets to come back and win, but they managed to choke away their last few possessions when they went away from Chris Paul. God that makes me mad.

...

All right, now for predictions.

Los Angeles vs. San Antonio
The Lakers really don't have anyone who can guard Tim Duncan or Tony Parker, but the same could have been said about Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams in the last round. It's going to be tough, but I think LA has enough offensive firepower to take down the Spurs (you beat the Spurs by outscoring them, not by playing better defense). That and I love how Derek Fisher is playing right now. Everyone points to Kobe, or Lamar, or Gasol, but I honestly think it's Fisher who won them the Utah series, and who has been the seals holding up an otherwise leaky ship. I think the Lakers continue to play great basketball, and manage to steal Game 4 in San Antonio.
Prediction: LA in 5

Boston vs. Detroit
Good God, the worst NBA playoffs match-up possible has come to fruition. Be prepared for some absolutely disgusting 75-77, ugly, dirty, and sometimes downright dangerous games. Boston is playing like shit, complete shit, and I do not expect them to come out of this series. Detroit is playing extremely well, and are extremely focused. That and I have lost all faith in the entire Celtics roster beyond Paul Pierce.
Prediction: Detroit in 6

No comments: