Sharing my trip

So I've decided the best way to share my trip to Hong Kong with all my family and friends back home is to post it to this blog. Hope you all enjoy!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

E3 Thoughts: Microsoft


I haven't been on here in a long time. So I decided to jump back on, since I have more spare time. Most of the articles I have written have been about fighting games. And although that is my favorite genre of video game, I do enjoy video games in general. (I'm a male who is 21 after all.) And so I decided to watch the G4 network's coverage of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3 the largest video game developers conference in the world. I will go over all three major companies (Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony) and talk about what I liked, didn't like, and what surprised me. For this article I'll cover Microsoft.

Microsoft XBOX 360:

Microsoft brought the heat this year just like they always have. Microsoft offered a lot of cool games, a couple surprises, and one huge announcement.

I'll start with something that will surprise my friends. I don't particularly care for the Halo series. It's not a bad game, but it never did anything special. I don't care that you could have a bunch of people playing at once, gameplay wise it never did anything special. With that said, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this; I am excited for the new Halo game, Halo: ODST

Halo: ODST is a game set in between Halo 2 and Halo 3. In this game, you do not play Master Chief, or any Spartan for that matter. You play as an "Orbital Drop Shock Trooper" (hence the acronym) who gets separated from your unit during your mission's orbital drop (think WWII paratroopers). You have to get back to your unit. This is a simplified story summary since I can't recall exact details.

Why am I excited for this game? It's different. First, since you are not a Spartan in this game, you don't have all the super soldier powers that Spartans do. Therefore, you have to be a little more strategic and stealthy, and pick your battles as opposed to just running in guns blazing. However since you are not a Spartan, you have gadgets/abilities Spartans don't, like noise suppression for your weapons.

Second, and probably the most important change; it's an open world game. That's right screw that linear BS, ODST goes where ever he wants. Ok I'm not sure how open it actually is, but it is still better than basic level progression.

And as icing on the cake, you have the Halo 1 pistol again. Keep it real homey.

They also revealed a teaser trailer for Halo: Reach. It was just a teaser, so no one knows anything more than that it exists.

Second thing I found really awesome: Left 4 Dead 2. The first game came out only a year ago, and already they are working on this. They even had a demo. New things include more weapons and campaigns (obviously), but also different weather/environment conditions every time you play. This time enjoy blasting a zombie's jaw off in the day time! They also include close combat weapons, like fire axes, frying pans and CHAINSAWS!!!!!! It's not a good day to be a zombie.

This next one was a big surprise. I don't know if I'll start playing this game now, but I know Matt will like it. The Metal Gear Solid franchise is no longer exclusive to Playstation. Playstation lost Final Fantasy XIII first as an exclusive, and now this. Great Job guys! They revealed a new game in the series, called Metal Gear Solid: Rising. It will probably be for both PS3 and 360. It stars Raiden (the new cool one, not the old gay one) and is said it will be more of an action game then the previous stealth based games. Supporting this claim, is the subtitle "Lightning Bolt Action" where traditionally it said " Tactical Espionage Action" If it is an action game I will play it.

The last thing, and the craziest, is Project Natal. Natal could be an entire article unto itself, so it would be easier to just watch the video I put up. But it is state of the art. Nintendo is in trouble with Microsoft's answer to their motion control. The video doesn't actually show the creators of Natal, but a group that developed a game using Natal. The game looks really gay, but try to look past that and see the innovations and what this could mean for the future of video games.

I'll put up additional thoughts on Microsoft after E3 is over. Tomorrow I'll cover Sony. Until then.


No comments: